CALL US: (408) 972-4591 or (650) 368-2200
Home » Your Permit - Department of Motor Vehicles

How to apply for a provisional permit if you are under 18 & license instructions


To apply for a provisional permit, you will need the following items:

  1. You must be at above the age of 15 ½, also you must be under 18 years of age.
  2. We recommend that you call the Department of Motor Vehicles to make an appointment, if time does not allow for an appointment you may walk in to take your written test without an appointment.  Call 1-800-777-0133 at the DMV appointment center
  3. Complete the application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies obtained by xeroxing, faxing, or other methods will not be accepted.)
  4. Have your parents’ or guardians’ signatures on the application form DL 44
  5. Give a thumb print
  6. Have your picture taken
  7. Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
  8. Verify your birth date and legal presence
  9. Provide your true full name, if you have changed your name provide documented proof of the new name.
  10. Submit the proper form(s) for driver education and/or driver training classes
  11. Pay the application fee (This fee entitles you to three exams of any type within the 12–month period and pays for both the instruction permit and the driver license. If all requirements are not met within the 12–month period, the application becomes void and all steps must be completed again.)
  12. Pass a vision exam
  13. Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 46 questions on the test. A passing score is at least 39 correct answers. You have three chances to pass the test. If you fail, you must wait 7 days before taking it again.

Note: DMV will not be giving written or audio exams after 4:30 pm.

Driver Education and Driver Training Form Requirements

If you are 15 ½ to 17 ½ years of age, you will need to provide a:

  • Certificate of Completion of Driver Education. • or
  • Certificate of Completion of Driver Education and Driver Training. • or
  • Certificate of Enrollment In An Integrated (Classroom) Driver Education And Driver Training Program.

NOTE: If your driver education and driver training were taken in a state other than California, DMV will accept one of the following items:

  • “To Secondary Schools Other Than California Schools” form (DL 33) form completed by the out–of state secondary school. Obtain a DL 33 form from your local DMV office or by calling DMV at 1–800–777–0133. Send the DL 33 form to your out–of–state secondary school to complete.
  • letter from your out–of state secondary school on the out–of–state secondary school’s stationery signed by a school official stating that the courses you have taken are equivalent to a California secondary school course described in Section 10020 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

An out–of–state driving instructional permit is not acceptable proof of driver education and driver training.

If you are over 17 ½ but under 18 years of age, you may get your permit without the driver education and driver training certificates however, you will not be able to take the driving test until you turn 18.

Once you pass your written test, you will be issued a provisional permit.

A parent, guardian, spouse or adult 25 years of age or older, who has a valid California driver license, must be with you when you drive. He or she must sit in a position close enough to take control of the vehicle, if necessary. It is illegal for you to drive alone at any time.

Before being eligible to take your driving test you must:

  • Be 16 years old AND
  • Have held your permit for a minimum of six months AND
  • Have completed driver education AND Have completed 6 hours of professional driver training AND
  • Have completed 50 hours of practice with an adult 25 years or older. The adult must have a valid California driver license and certify to the 50 hours of practice. At least 10 of the 50 hours must have been done at night.

To take your driving test, you will need to:

  • Make a driving test Appointment(s) . (Driving tests are not given without an appointment.) You may also call 1–800–777–0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday–Friday, or go online to make a driving test appointment.
  • Provide proof of financial responsibility

After you pass your driving test you will be issued an interim license valid for 90 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your license after 60 days, call 1–800–777–0133 to check on the status. Have your interim license with you to provide information when requested.

If you fail your driving test, you must wait two weeks before you can take the test again. You have three chances to pass.

If driver education and driver training were taken in a state other than California, DMV will accept either a To Secondary Schools Other Than California Schools form DL 33 completed by the out–of state school, or a letter on the out–of state school’s stationery signed by a school official stating that the courses are equivalent to California’s requirements. Instructional permits issued by another state are not acceptable proof.


watch safety videos online


Click below go to the OFFICIAL DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES website to check Driving School License. Our License is: 2820.

Doing a DMV License check ensures the school you have selected is currently licensed to teach in the state of California. "only located in the Bay Area"


click below to view safe driving tips:


contacts (google map)

Santa Clara County
(408) 972-4591
1064 Lincoln Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125
Business Office and Classroom Location

San Mateo County
(650) 368-2200
2995 Woodside Road
Suite 400
Woodside, CA 94062
Mailing address

We will pick you up at your home, school or work